XJ-12 Air intake.

To: Growling Kittys <jag-lovers@psy.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: XJ-12 Air intake.
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 16:29:32 -31802 (PST)
        Dear netters,
I'll not bore you with miscellaneous ramblings about my many Jaguar
dreams, noooo not this time, for now I have a bonafide question.
        I'd like to improve the high end power of my H.E. motor, and I've
noticed a few things right off the bat that seem to be limiting factors
in this department.  I'd appreciate any comments.
1)      The air intake tubes and horns are rather small, in fact much smaller
than the intake throttle body bore, and they seem to pull
quite a high velocity of air, even at idle.  I'm wondering if fabricating
new intake tubes and horns (of larger diameter) onto a different pair of air
cleaner covers would help.
2)      Similarly with the exhaust, the pipe diameter up to the rear
resonators is quite large, but the exhaust tail pipes themselves are
rather small.
3)      On a related note, I believe the central box mufflers to be of
the 'multiple reversion of flow' variety, or more plainly stated, the air
has to go back and forth, forth and back, before coming out the other
end.  Laminar vs. turbulent concerns aside, surely the momentum effects
must cause a noticeable reduction in breathing?
        Lately I've seen ads for a type of box muffler that only has 4 angle
changes (of less than 45 deg each) that the air has to go through before
exiting out the back, with requisite statements of how much power can be
recovered at higher flow rates.  I wouldn't be averse to buying a set and
fabbing the outlets to mate with the overaxle pipe olives, but I wonder
if other list members have heard anything about these setups.

Pleased to hear any and all opinions,

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6