re: Cleaning/Degreasing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Cleaning/Degreasing
From: LUCE@KRDC.INT.ALCAN.CA
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 1994 12:11:01 -0500 (EST)
W.Ray Gibbons wrote

On Wed, 7 Dec 1994, Colin Brace wrote:

>> was to fill a container (large pail, 55 gallon drum, whatever) with
>> solvent, then fill it the rest of the way with water. The principle
>> elegant. This way the dirt/grease/grunge falls off down into the
>> water, keeping the solvent clean.

Right you are Ray.  Most of the organic crud will accumulate at the
interface between the solvent and the water.  Some fractions will partition
themselves between the two liquids, thereby polluting the water in the
drum, generating more unpleasant waste for disposal.  One potential upside of
this trick is that you can effectively degrease large, long items with a
minimum of solvent.  Just immerse the part all the way into the tank, and
as it is withdrawn a small area is exposed to the solvent.  [The same
reduction in solvent volume is possible with a spray system too, of course]
 The removal of sand and grit from the solvent layer could be quite
advantageous - I know that my small tray of degreaser gets awfully gritty
when dealing with dirty parts, and I regularily strain it to avoid leaving
an abrasive residue in threads, etc.
Cheers,
E. Bomber "I knew I took that chemistry degree for something" Luce