Re: Midget dynamo-to-alternator conversion

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget dynamo-to-alternator conversion
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 11:32:21 -0800
Pretty Vacant <onstottc@ucs.orst.edu> kindly replied to my question:

>A generator does not produce much power at low rpms.  This means that
>your battery is not getting charged when you are idleing or driving a low
>revs.

Ok, I can understand that.  Why is it hard on batteries even when my
driving is mostly freeway (15 minutes at ~4500 RPM)?  Needless to say, I am
having some sort of battery problem.  The car won't start in the morning
when cold.  Sometimes running a battery charger for 10 minutes helps,
others I have to jump to my wifes car.  The (five year guarantee) battery
is two years old.  I have not had any troubles starting the car in the
evening, just in the morning, usually when the temperature is in the low
30s (F).  Thanks!!!  sf

Stan Fickes                    British Cars
Wireless Communications        1951 MGTD (under construction) NEMGTR 10492
Advanced Technology Group      1965 Austin-Healey Sprite (daily driver)
Apple Computer, Inc.
408 974-7653