Motor Oil Decided, plus a Britcar dream.....

To: Oily Cats <jag-lovers@psy.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: Motor Oil Decided, plus a Britcar dream.....
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 17:27:02 -31802 (PST)
        Dear lovers of British Machinery,
        I've decided, based on comments that I received about actual
experience, as well as some good technical ramblings, to try Mobil 1
synthetic (15W-50) in the '85 XJ-12.  Thanks to all who provided advice.
        I must confess something.  The reason I thought about switching
is that my father received a coupon for 25% off of any purchase at the local
parts place.  I decided this would be my chance to try this stuff out.
Since I didn't want to break the bank, I asked him to buy only one case,
which I would reimburse him for.
        So last night, he calls me and says that he found the Mobil 1,
and bought a case.  The total purchase price came to 15.00.  "WOW, I
said, that's a real deal".  Then I began to wonder and so I asked him how
many total quarts he had bought, "Six", he replied, "For this brand, there
were six quarts to a case".   DOH!!  BART!! I neglected to mention to him
that the Jag took 12 quarts in the sump.
        Looks like the amazing discount just fell to 12.5%.

On a related note:  I had a dream last night that Dianne and I took a
vacation to Southern California, to visit one of her rich relatives in
Beverly Hills (what a dream, huh).  Anyway, instead of parking the cars
outside, there was a large glass door that opened up to a parking area
in the room which housed the Olympic sized swimming pool.  I parked the
car about 10 feet to the right of the poolside, with the left wheels just
on the white carpet that surrounded the perimeter of the pool.  The rest of
the car was over white ceramic tile.
        As we got out of the car, I realized that I might as well make sure
that I wasn't dripping any fluids onto the carpet, so I stuck my nose under
the front end.  To my amazement, there were large drips eminating from
the front part of the engine, at least twice per second.  "DOH!!", I
thought, "I should have listened to those 'netters who warned me about the
possibility of the synthetic causing leaks to erupt".
        I woke up, and after the panic wore off, remembered that my car still
had Castrol 20W-50 in the pan, and was still parked outside in the snow.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6