The great SU pump debate

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The great SU pump debate
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 11:59:29 -0800
Just my $.02...

I HAD a higher pressure pump and a regulator on my Sprite.  The regulator
failed, and sprayed fuel all over my nice hot motor.  Luckily, as I was not
driving and could tell something smelled wrong, I had no fire.  As I have
no desire to have an external combustion engine, I switched back to the
nice, low pressure SU pump.  In 5 years, I have had one failure, which I
limped back to the shop and replaced.  I am horrified about the MGB/truck
story mentioned earlier, but I have this fear of flames that also goes
pretty deep.  I would rather be stuck on the side of the road and risk my
cars destruction (but have the passengers wait off to the side?) than have
a gas-fueled engine fire.  It's not a question of originality to me; if I
thought I could put in a more reliable system for the price of an SU pump,
I would.  I would just prefer the failure to be a lack of fuel, not a
surplus!!  sf

Stan Fickes                    British Cars
Wireless Communications        1951 MGTD (under construction) NEMGTR 10492
Advanced Technology Group      1965 Austin-Healey Sprite (daily driver)
Apple Computer, Inc.
408 974-7653