Re: Please throw them SU pumps away

To: TVRVixen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Please throw them SU pumps away
From: rodb@ee.ubc.ca
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 08:41:25 -0800 (PST)
> I know this may irritate the "originalitynazis", but I want anyone on the
> list
> who really drives their car to take that SU pump and toss it as far as they
> can and replace it with something that works reliably.

 < exciting and sad story that could have happened due to ANY mechanical
   failure and wasn't the drivers fault >

I simply don't agree with the above statement.  SU pumps are simple, easy
to rebuild and reliable with the addition of either the capacitor or the
diode.  A lot of the problems are the fault of incorrect setup of the
pump throwover.

When we bought our Healey, the PO had put in a GM/Delco electric pump.
Guess what?  It needed a smack to get going every time.  I bought a
used SU pump, rebuilt it with new points, valves, diaphragm and
capacitor, and it has worked perfectly every since.

Now if only the stupid Girling brake booster was as simple to rebuild :-).

--rod.

--
Rod Barman, Dept. of E.E., University of British Columbia
rodb@ee.ubc.ca