Re: Don't Use Armorall? (fwd)

To: mmillman@ptdcs2.intel.com
Subject: Re: Don't Use Armorall? (fwd)
From: jhoward@argus.lowell.edu (James D. Howard II)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 94 14:00 MST
So, is there a product we can use that prevents (or at at least slows)
the aging, cracking, or hardening of rubber?  I presume that some sort
of UV protection would be desirable.

James

   From: mmillman@ptdcs2.intel.com

   The old armor all thread reared its ugly head on the porschephiles again,
   and this time someone with some clout (as opposed to my maniacal ranting
   and raving about AA being the heroin of car cleaning products) gave a good
   reason not to use it.

   John P Lawrence says:

   > I don't know who made the comment but that is correct. The reason it should
   > not be used on rubber is it dissolves the chemicals which resist oxidation
   > and attack by ozone from the surface. This will lead to premature aging
   > which might result in cracking of the surface.
   >
   > John P Lawrence
   > Director Elastomers & Reinforcement Research
   > The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co

   - --
   Miq Millman   mmillman@ptdcs2.intel.com        503 642 6139   (Aloha site)
   AL4-55  Intel, 5200 NE Elam Young Parkway, Hillsboro, OR 97124-6497
   See also miq@teleport.com