Re: MGB GT Handling

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB GT Handling
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 09:37:58 +0000
Fred,

If you want to run Solo II in stock, I am pretty sure you can't replace the
springs (except with stock springs).  The front anti-sway bar is free,
though, and a highly recommended upgrade.  I haven't done mine yet but it
is on my Xmas wish list as well.

The other key is to have the alignment done by an experienced autocrosser,
not by a stock shop.  You have to have your alignment done within factory
specs for stock, but the autocrosser knows which end of specs to fudge
toward (versus exclusively street driving).  In my experience they are
more careful about getting both sides the same, etc.

If your front end really needs "tightening up" you may need to rebush
before you get the alignment done.  My local shop recommends the V8
bushings for the lower A-arms (these bushings have metal sleeves, unlike
the stock), but many folks recommend polyurethane bushings.  My best
handling upgrade was replacing my lever shocks, which were leaking like
crazy.

The best upgrade is still an extra set of wheels and autocross tires.
Also on my Xmas wish list <g>.

I am a raw novice, but have been getting lots of advice from some hot
shoes.  All of my improvement so far has been from practice, not car
upgrades, though.

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock