Re: The Sound of Horns

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Sound of Horns
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 94 13:59:56 CDT
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Re: The Sound of Horns) File(OCT22941.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 10-22-1994 .. 11:03:34

>Date: Fri, 21 Oct 94 09:25:51 -0700
>From: "TeriAnn Wakeman"  <twakeman@apple.com>
>Subject: Re: The Sound of Horns
>
>While we seem to have a horn thread going...
>
>I got my TR3's horns repainted and was going to reinstall them on the body.
>I decided to check them out first & discovered that both horns
>sound like "      ".

That must be the correct sound cause thats the same sound my TR-3 hors
made when I first got them ;-)

Anyway one of my diaphrams was froze up to and no amount of soaking
in liquide wrence etc. seemed to help.

The other horn just needed cleaning and point adjustment, but now
it doesnt make the same "        " sound, so I may have messed it up.

>I also noticed that the TR3's horns draw more power than the identical
>looking TR4 horns and wonder if the new replacements draw less.  Since
>there is no horn relay in a TR3 and full power needs to be drawn
>through a lot of wires and connections, I would just as soon have a
>low power loud horn as opposed to a horn that takes a lot of power to
>get more than a squeek out.

I never measured the power the horns draw but...
My wiriring in the stearing colum was fried and I didn't want to pull
real havy guage wire thru that little tube, so I added a horn relay.
I just bolted mine to the fire wall but if your worried about "looks"
I'm sure you could hide a relay up under the bonnete in front of the
radiator.

> A loud functional horn is important to me.  If I notice an oblivious person
>aiming at me I want to get their attention before the cars try to occupy the
>same space.  It would also come in handy if I get stuck behind slow snakes ;*)

OH. TerriAnn. I didn't read who sent this before I started to reply.
I was going to say that I wound up using after market new horns but they
dont look right. I'm sure you want the real thing. Even the new horns
in the catalogs don't look like the originals. You have to glue the
domes from the old ones over them to make them look close to right.

>TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world

Louis
POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU