The Sound of Horns

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The Sound of Horns
From: vernk@carver.DataFlux.BC.CA (Vern Klukas)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 23:24:36 -0800
Andy Mace wrote;

>Best part of the "Bronk" horns, IMHO, is that they
>lend credence to your presence on the road far out of proportion to the
>otherwise (usually) diminutive size of your LBC. "Mash" your "Bronk" horns
>and people turn their heads expecting to jump out of the way of a
>careening GM city bus. Some of the newer "Mweep" horns can be heard only
>by Golden Retrievers otherwise too lazy to move out of the roadway when
>faced with oncoming traffic.

This reminds me of a story.
I can remember riding in a friend's TR3 through a narrow, windy gravel
active logging road in southern British Columbia one summer. Now, for those
of you that don't know, an active logging road usally starts off with a
sign with such ominous warnings as "Keep to the inside of all corners,
logging vehicles use the outside" and "Logging vehicles cannot stop. Avoid
them they will not avoid you."
Anyway, we're cruising along, keeping an eye out in a reckless, 18 year old
kind of way when, right in a particularly tight part, we hear horns around
the next blind corner that suggested the Queen Mary was about to come into
view. Needless to say, my friend departed the road surface and drove a
considerable way up the steep bank, to make way for the mother of all
logging trucks' arrival.
The next thing to appear, however, was this diminutive Simca 1000 (roughly
equal to a Renault Dauphine). I mean, ever the TR was larger! We waited a
few more minutes, just to be sure, but it was obvious that we had been had.
Unfortunatly, we had got the TR stuck on the bank, and it took another half
hour to dig ourselves out. And that, fellow SOLers, was the largest
*sounding* car I have ever heard. It just figures it would be french.

Yers
Vern

Vern Klukas                                       I'm a little teapot
vernk@carver.dataflux.bc.ca or                    Short and...
ug141@freenet.victoria.bc.ca or
inkspot@carver.dataflux.bc.ca