Re: Spitfire spitting fire

To: sv_cmccrack@vesper.emcmt.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire spitting fire
From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 94 15:28:39 CST
Subject: Spitfire spitting fire
Author:  sv_cmccrack@vesper.emcmt.edu
Date:    10/13/94  3:15 PM

>Dear SOL's:
>This is the first of what I feel will be many questions regarding my lbc. I
>have
>little mechanical knowledge, but am acquiring it quickly thanks to my little
>Spitfire. I have a '77 Spitfire with a CD type carb, catalytic converter,

Just as a point of information, the CD in the carb designation (150CD) stands
for Constant Depression, which is the fate of truly dedicated LBC owners...

>electro
>nic ignition (I think that this has been modified from original).
>  Today I took her out for a spin. A cool Fall day in Montana with the top
>down.I
> drove about ten miles at 70 MPH- seemed to be going smoothly- then I coasted
>down a winding grade in third gear. I noticed a new sound coming from the
>exhaust especially when coasting, diminishing when I stepped on the gas. When
>I g
>ot home, with the car at idle there were 8 inch flames coming out of the
>exhaust. This of course wArmed everything up in the boot, and started burning
>up
>the boot liner. :( The motor did not overheat, and later she started up just
>fine.
> What gives? I think she is running a little rich, is that the (only)
>problem ? Anyone care to provide a tutorial? Thanks.
>
>Tersh McCracken
>Billings, MT

OK, my guess is a bad exhaust valve. Are all cylinders firing? I had a problem
with my GT6 when I had a bad exhaust valve where unburned fuel would sneak
past the exhaust valve and get ignited in the exhaust. *bang*

Check compression on all 4 cylinders. If they are all equal, more or less, than
maybe it's something less serious...

Larry