Re: MGB Sudden Oil Pressure Loss

To: system admin <root@tsquare.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Sudden Oil Pressure Loss
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 11:18:28 -31702 (PDT)
On Thu, 13 Oct 1994, John Trindle wrote:
> sludge, no hunks of metal either.  The main and big-end bearings were
> shot... we replaced all big-end bearings and all but the rear main
> bearing (5 main engine).  We didn't have time or energy to pull the
> engine or tranny so couldn't get at the rear bearing.  He said the thrust
>
> His quote:  "I haven't seen bearings this bad except in engines with
> catastrophic failure".
>
> My questions: 1) Is it because we didn't do the rear bearing that there
> has been no change from the bottom end work, or 2) Is there something
> else to check I have overlooked? 3) Is this a >bad thing< and I should
> stop driving the car, or can I limp along until I can afford the top and
> getting the last bearing replaced?  I need to put my other car in the
>
> John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club

John, Of course you don't need to change the rear bearing.  Just put some
more of that "engine rebuild in a can" in your sump.  Except this time,
get the kind with the pellets in it.   Throw a little bacon grease in for
good measure, and take out an ad in the local classifieds.
        19XX MGB, Fresh engine rebuild, good paint, top.  Just needs a
little engine work.   $4500    Call 140 ring 2 and ask for John.