Re: Stereotype/restoration quandry

To: RobertS355@aol.com
Subject: Re: Stereotype/restoration quandry
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 10:06:19 -0400 (EDT)
Dear Bob,

You can certainly learn to do it, unless you are one of those all thumbs
people.  I took a high school adult ed course in welding, long ago, during
which I concentrated on gas welding.  Mig welding wasn't done much, then.
When I bought my Bugeye, I tried to gas weld one panel, then gave that up.
If I had to gas weld all of the repairs it needed, I would be forever and
it would look like a pretzel.  I bought a decent MIG welder, read all the
books I could find, and started welding.  When it did not look right, I'd
grind it off and try again.  The only thing holding the front and rear
halves together are welds I did, and I'm willing to bet my life it won't
come apart.  You can do it.  And painting is easier than welding.

BUT---you can buy a whole new body for around $4K (I assume that is true
of early B's as well as later ones).  That would be easier, by far, I
should think, and certainly not a lot more expensive than having someone
else rebuild the body of your car.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910