Stereotype/restoration quandry

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Stereotype/restoration quandry
From: RobertS355@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 09:33:08 -0400
I guess it's time to throw in my 2 cents worth.  My first LBC experience was
with my brother's A-H Sprite somewhere around 1967-68.  My father and I drove
the car from Pittsburgh to Burlington, VT through a rainstorm that soaked
everything (including by dad's suit in the trunk - he wasn't very happy).
 Got stuck on the NYS thruway when part of the generator pulley sheered off
and punched a hole in the radiator hose.  A friendly junk yard dealer managed
to dig out a pulley from a Triumph and sent us on our way (at considerable
cost).

After a few years I got into the act myself with a '65 MGB.  Took it off to
college after a summer of engine rebuilding.  My wife of 21 years and I fell
in love in an MG at Penn State.  She has fond memories of driving into town
without an exhaust after having it removed at the header by a bump in the
road.  Unfortunately, money needs led me to sell it too soon.  She also has
fond memories of rebuilding the engine and transmission from my second
venture ('63 B) in the dining room of our 1 bedroom apt. in Washington DC.
 Three children later (boys 17, 16, and 12) I still have the '63 which brings
me to the restoration quandry.

The car it TOTALLY disassembled and awaiting some attention.  Typical rust
problems: floor boards are gone as are the rocker panels, front and rear
quarter panels on both sides.  Major work needed but the car is #4754 and I
can't bear to see it become part of the earth.  I've done the mechanical work
but have absolutely no experience in body restoration/welding/painting and
can't afford to have someone else do it.  Of course I didn't know anything
about the mechanics until I just jumped in and did it.  I've gone back and
forth between trying to find another one (I really want one to drive) and
teaching myself how to restore the one I've got.  My oldest son wants to
drive to his senior prom in an MG (is this thing hereditary?).  I could come
up with $3-3500 to either put into the body work of find another B.  Any
suggestions?  Has anyone successfully learned welding etc. on such a major
project?  Is this doable?

Bob Scardamalia
RobertS355@AOL.COM
Albany, NY