Re: paint progress on the GT6

To: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Subject: Re: paint progress on the GT6
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 09:53:57 -0400
Marcus writes:

> I HATE sanding. I've been sanding for days, or so it seems. Somebody tell me
> it will be worth it!

It will be worth it.

Or at least, if you don't spend all the time you can possibly stand
sanding, and then three days more, you will be greatly disappointed
after the paint goes on. :-(

> I had the GT6 primered yesterday (after the 3 weeks of sanding it took to
> get the body ready). They shot 2 layers of something called "vario" (? somet
> type of primer made to go over laquer), then one layer of high build,
> then they

This may have been DuPont's "VariPrime."  As recent discussions have
mentioned, it is a self-etching primer, specifically intended to
adhere to bare metal.  However, it will stick to practically anything.

> baked it for 30 mins. I put on a 'show-coat' of kmart black spray, and
> started sanding AGAIN last night with 180 grit. Jeese, I thought I'd got it
> real smooth before they shot the primer, unfortunately, the show coat told
> me I had the Colorado Rockies running across the panels. Oh well. Another
> week of sanding should get it ready for a final mist of primer, then a 500
> grit, then the paint. PHEW! I pray for the day I cand hand the keys to
> my car with $2000 and get it back a week later with new paint.

I presume when sanding, you are using a sanding block?  If not, it
will be very hard to get prevent large waves in the sanding.  Although
there won't be any scratches, it is difficult to get even sanding
results when hand sanding without a sanding block.

Alternatively, if you have a big compressor, this would be a really
good opportunity to purchase a dual-action sander.  If not, $400 to
buy a 6hp/60gal compressor, and $50 for a dual-action sander may pay
for itself in one week of sanding...

I just recently completed a two-week frame-off restoration of a Radio
Flyer wagon.  I thought I did a good job sanding.  I thought it really
was pretty smooth.  I sprayed paint.  My 5-year old thinks it is
fantastic to have a shiny wagon, with all the rust gone, that is an
almost identical color as the TR6.  However, the finish is lousy.
As you say, mountains show through from poor sanding.

I'm clearly going to practice a lot more before repainting the TR...

Obligatory inspirational message to keep you going:

Today was an absolutely beautiful morning for a ride into work here in
New Hampshire, albeit with the top up! (24F is just a little too cool
for a 20-mile top-down drive, imho)

The sun was just rising over the trees, brilliant colors everywhere,
piles of leaves to drive through making a delightful rustling, and a
thick frost over all the fields to reflect sunlight everywhere.

How am I ever going to put the TR away for winter!?!

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631