Re: Jag XKE restoration

To: mikel@ichips.intel.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jag XKE restoration
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 11:59:49 -0700
In message <9410061640.AA19823@pdx165.intel.com> Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing
writes:
> Now that I've sold most of my bikes, I've started looking around for a winter
> project.  I came across one in the local paper last night:
>
> '65 XKE Roadster. rebuilt 4.2L, Body dipped, good condition.  $12.9k obo
>
> So I called and got the scoop.  The car is currently completed disassembled.
> The tub is at a body shop; it's been dipped, and primered to prevent rust,
> but
> a lot of repair work is need (all the replacement sheetmetal has already been
> purchased.  The engine was supposedly rebuilt by some former owner, but has
> not been turned over in about 8 years, and never by the current owner, so
> it's
> condition may be suspect.  The car comes with a synchromesh tranny, and the
> owner is willing to throw in another complete spare tranny as well; again
> condition for both are unknown.  The interior and top are both trashed and
> need to be replaced.  The remaining misc bits are all at a third location,
> but
> are supposedly boxed up and labelled.  According to the owner, all the
> parts are there, though heck if I can spot that or not....  The car has been
> in this dormant state for at least several years.
>
> Is this something I should walk (run) away from?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike, are you sure they didn't accidently move the decimal point?  From your
description it sounds like it should sell for 1.29K.  I would suspect that you
would have 3+ years of weekends and an additional 12.9K to spend to get this
puppy on the road in decent shape.  Disassembled cars, that may or may not have
all the parts (probably missing the ones no longer available & not reproduced)
which may or not be worn out/ rusted, should go for a very low price.

Most cars that are disassembled for a complete restoration project are worn out
and require a lot of new parts.  I also wouldn't trust a old engine rebuild or
the condition of the transmissions.  That replacement sheetmetal will need to be
fitted.  I think maybe $3K might be an OK price for a disassembled project car
that has been appart for a long time.  Even that may be a bit high.

Remember Jag parts are EXPENSIVE.  When purchasing a Jag, a good rule of thumb
is to purchase the best condition one you can possibly afford ... unless you get
a real low price and are just itching to spend your weekends working on it and
expect the finished project to cost well more than a good condition one would
command.

Now mind you, being a Ducati owner, you are already known for going after style
and engineering over practicality and any definition of the term "good sense"
does not apply..  So a Jag might be a good choice.  Just be aware that the one
you are looking at probably has a lot of problems. and will cost you at least
the asking price again to put back on the road.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561