Re: lug nut request!!

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Subject: Re: lug nut request!!
From: pwcs!phile@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 13:07:48 +0000 (BST)
Marcus Tooze writes >

> For a GT6 with mag wheels....
> I CANNOT find  these anywhere....my old ones are so weak I've already
> broken 3 off!!!! Can anybody here point me towards a supplier?
>
> They are 3/8 thread w/ a 1/2 in shank i.e.

> My last resort is my machine shop, for which he will charge $50 for 20 lug
>nuts!

Are you looking for studs or nuts?  You keep saying "lug nuts", but then
describe a 1/2" shank, which sounds right for the
Spitfire/GT-6/Europa/Elan studs.

I have the original studs from my Europa and some new ones in the package.
I did not use them because I changed to 1/2" studs.  The front hubs are
the same as a GT-6, the rear may be similar or the same, but the studs are
apparently the same.

As much as I would like to sell you these studs, I suggest that you also go
to bigger ones.  The main problem is that the originals are 3/8-NF as you
described.  The recommended torque is only about 35 foot-pounds.  This
hardly seems to be enough to keep them from falling off, especially if the
cast wheels use a "square" shoulder instead of a steel tapered seat.

If you overtorque them, they have a nasty tendency to crack when under load.

The 3/8" lug nuts in my parts box are the chrome acorn nuts that came from
Lotus on the Europa Twin Cam optional cast wheels, which were also standard
on the Europa Special.  These have the square shoulder.

phil.ethier@stpaul.gov