Hazard (flashing) lights (was Re: That rotter Lucas)

To: Richard Mutt <houdini@access.digex.net>
Subject: Hazard (flashing) lights (was Re: That rotter Lucas)
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 14:31:54 -0400
Richard Mutt writes:

> ... we realized that two of us had the same problem -- turn signals
> that didn't flash.  The other sufferer said that the problem was
> installing heavy duty american bulbs and standard Lucas bulbs on the same
> side of the car.  Sure enough, replacing the left rear (Lucas) bulb with
> a GE heavy duty bulb made it all work right.  Perverse but true, thought I'd
> pass it along (I hadn't heard this before, sorry if it's old news)

I have a problem that others may have some ideas on.  I haven't yet
tried to diagnose it, but I can describe the symptoms.  Maybe others
have some suggestions.

The problem is with the hazard flashers on a '74 TR6.  When I pull the
hazard switch out to turn the flashers on, the flasher unit makes the
desired click-click-click noise, although at a quick rate.  (maybe
about 2 clicks per second) The light in the switch on the dash lights
up and blinks in time with that just fine.  The lights on the corners
of the car do indeed blink, but only *barely*.  By barely, I mean that
if you do this at night, in the garage, with the garage lit by only
two 100 watt bulbs, you can tell that they're blinking if you stare at
a single lens, and you can see that all work by looking at each in
turn.  With the lights in the garage turned off, the flashing can be
seen plainly, but you sure couldn't find your way around in the dark
by the light.  In daylight, this blinking is practically undetectable.
However, the directional flashers, which use the same bulbs, work just
fine.  I have not checked the brand of bulbs in any of the flashing
sockets.

Suggestions?

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631