shipwright's disease (was: out of control)

To: twakeman@apple.com
Subject: shipwright's disease (was: out of control)
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 13:18:06 CDT

TeriAnn wrote:
> Shipwrights disease.... I first read about it in 1986, or '87.  I was
>mentioning
> some work I was doing on the TR3 when someone on this list (yes there were
>some
> of us here back then)
> [...]
>
> I do not remember who told me that story.  But over the years i seemed to
>have
> become known for having that disease.  If that person is still on the list or
>if
> someone from that time even remembers the event, I would be curious also as
> who it was that originally told the story to me.

The earliest reference to shipwright's/fitter's disease that I could
find in the archives is from SOL #315:

# Date: Mon, 6 Jan 92 09:18:47 -0700
# From: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.Colorado.EDU>
# Subject: Joke
#
# >From this month's Wooden Boat magazine:
#
# Q:  How many shipwrights does it take to change a lightbulb?
#
# A:  As long as you're changing the bulb, you really ought to
#     replace that fixture, and the wire is chafing a bit there,
#     and that junction box is pretty funky, and it's mounted on
#     rotten post...
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA