TR-4A with an alternator

To: (~b-c)
Subject: TR-4A with an alternator
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 15 Aug 1994 8:39 EDT
A recent post to the brit-car list read:
>Mike Passaretti: From Bill Piggott's book, "Original Triumph TR"
...although the TR4 and almost all TR4A's were fitted with dynamos,
an altenator was offered as an option on the TR4A. It is uncertain
how many cars were delivered so equipped. Not that any of that helps
------end of referenced prior post------

Having been around the TR marque for some 30 years now, I've yet
to see any TR-4A which had an alternator as original equipment.
I won't say it absolutely wasn't an option, but I'd have expected
by now to have seen or heard of that before now.

So...I'd treat the comment in the Piggott book with a high
degree of uncertainty unless someone can come up with supporting
factory documentation (i.e. sales brochure listing the option,
spec sheet/instruction manual for the alternator, etc.)

For those that'd like to install an alternator on the TR-3/4 four
banger, Bob Shaller's manual of technical stuff (available
from the Roadster Factory) has a fully described conversion using
a readily available alternator that can be bought at any general
auto parts store.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com