Re: Help! TR6 clutch lacking cylinder travel (was TR6 Clutch problems)

To: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu, streeter@sanders.com
Subject: Re: Help! TR6 clutch lacking cylinder travel (was TR6 Clutch problems)
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 10:17:02 -0700
Kenneth B. Streeter <streeter@sanders.com> asks about TR6 clutch problems:

> What are the likely causes of this problem?  What kind of fixes
> should I try?

There are several possibilities. Most likely, in my experience, is that
you have air trapped in the slave cylinder. To completely bleed this
cylinder you need to remove it from the mounting bracket and let it
hang from the flexible pipe while you bleed it. Some people on the list
have recommended pre-filling the slave cylinder with hydraulic fluid,
using a syringe, before installation. Be careful not to step on the
clutch pedal while you are doing this or you will find all your slave
cylinder internal parts in the dirt and you will have to start all over
again.

Other things you should look at are worn clevis pins and worn holes in
the clutch pedal arm, pushrods and cross-shaft. Either replace these
parts, or ream the holes and install oversize clevis pins. Clevis pins
are available in diameter increments of 1/16" and should be available
at most hardware stores. I bought stainless steel clevis pins from a
marine supplier (West Marine, 1-800-538-0775, ask for their catalog).

It has been suggested that the flexible pipe becomes more "flexible"
with age and may expand under pressure. I don't know if I buy that
explanation, but it is a relatively cheap part to replace next time
you have your hydraulic system taken apart. I replaced mine.

> If some owners switch to a 3/4" cylinder in an attempt to fix
> this problem, why did Triumph switch from 3/4" to .70"?

This may have happened at the same time Triumph switched from the
Borg & Beck to the Laycock clutch components. It may have been in
response to complaints about the amount of pedal pressure needed to
disengage the clutch. I had a friend who refused to drive the Triumph
until I fixed the "problem". She now drives a M**ta. Go figure!

 -- Flemming Larsen                     flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu