Help! TR6 clutch lacking cylinder travel (was TR6 Clutch problems)

To: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Subject: Help! TR6 clutch lacking cylinder travel (was TR6 Clutch problems)
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 12:10:19 -0400
Flemming Larsen writes:

> I'm sure that all the TR6 owners on the list are lining up with "Been
> There, Done That" replies to this one. Here's my $.02 worth:

> > Next, I thought that the mc is the wrong size

> Early TR6s came with 3/4" diameter master cylinder (marked with 3/4 on
> the body, later TR6s came equipped with .70" diameter master cylinders
> (marked with 70 on the cylinder), HOWEVER. some PO (previous owner) may
> have replaced the original .70" diameter MC with a .75" MC in an attempt
> to cure the typical problem of _not enough_ slave cylinder travel.

I'm glad to hear this is a common problem.  This is one of the problems
with the TR6 I just bought.  The clutch just *barely* disengages, even when
the pedal is mashed firmly against the floor.  Occasionally it doesn't
go quite far enough, and a little bit of grinding results...

What are the likely causes of this problem?  What kind of fixes should I
try?

Some more background info, if it helps:  The clutch (Borg & Beck) was
recently installed by the prior owner.  The slave cylinder was also
replaced.  The PO claims to have fully bled the clutch after installation.
The slave cylinder pushrod is connected to the top of three holes of the
clutch arm on the transmission (why *are* there three holes, and the shop
manual says to use the middle one?)

--ken

PS:  If some owners switch to a 3/4" cylinder in an attempt to fix
this problem, why did Triumph switch from 3/4" to .70"?

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631