Re: TR3 Suspension Part II

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Suspension Part II
From: rcg@delphi.dseg.ti.com (bob gibbons)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 94 10:08:14 CDT
Chuck Centore writes:

> Now comes the problem that I bet alot of you who really love to work on
> British cars have encountered. The front bolt is a suprisingly simple device
> but the way they made it go through the frame and recess into the frame
> sleeve is beyond tomorrow. The manual suggests that you screw a 5/16 x 24
> bolt onto the head of this bolt and to withdraw the bolt by means of a lever
> using the frame as a bearing surface. I bent the frame!  It wont come out and
> thats when I lost it.
>
> I heated it with a tourch, I hammered it with a sledge hammer, I wonder if
> this is just one of those little things that make us all a little crazy.

You're not going to want to hear this, but I had what sounds like an
identical problem with the rear leaf springs on my '64 MGB. One of the
leaves was broken and I had to replace the spring. All went well till I
came to the front support bolt from the spring to the frame. Nothing I
could do would budge this bolt. I tried heat (propane torch), cold
(liquid nitrogen), hydraulic press, nothing would budge this bolt.

I finally had to get a power sabersaw and just cut both inside and
outside ends off. It took many hours with several carbide blades, but I
could not find any other way. After removal, it was apparent the bold
was solidly rusted into the shackle, I don't think it ever would have
come out any other way.

Sorry for the bad news. Let us know if you find a better way.

Bob

----
Bob Gibbons                             Texas Instruments
Internet: Bob.Gibbons@dseg.ti.com       Dallas, TX