Re: synthetics and older seals

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, cak@parc.xerox.com
Subject: Re: synthetics and older seals
From: sbender@dsd.es.com (Steve Bender)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 94 08:54:44 MDT
>  > I heard somewhere (maybe here?) that the use of synthetic oils in older
>  > cars, my '73 TR6 in particular, may lead to some damage.  I remember
>
> The guy asked me very carefully about the proposed use: in my case, an engine
> that hasn't been taken apart since 1967.  Bottom line - they didn't
> recommend I switch. Basically what they see is that seals and gaskets
> that old have started to harden and crack, and are sealing mostly
> because of deposited sludge. A synthetic oil will clean the sludge from
> the engine, and then start to clean the sludge away from the seals. And
> then it will start to leak. And then people will call and complain that
> Mobil 1 ate their seals.
>
> The general rule seemed to be that if you have oil consumption due to
> leakage or burning, switching to Mobil 1 (or any synthetic). will
> increase that consumption. Whatever it is about synthetics that makes
> them cling to metal better also makes them find cracks better.

My experience with synthetic oil would support this.  I've been using
Mobil 1 in my Oldsmobile for the past 140,000 miles... It now leaks
as much, or more oil as my TR4... which is not bad, but does leave
some spots on the garage floor.  I recently pulled the oil-pan to
replace the gasket in an attempt to stop the leaking, and was
astounded by how clean the inside of the engine was.

-Steve-

P.S. I still use Castrol in the Triumph