Re: Lurker Now Proud Parent of '70 midget

To: fungus@CSOS.ORST.EDU (Curt Onstott)
Subject: Re: Lurker Now Proud Parent of '70 midget
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 10:04:21 -0500 (CDT)
Curt Onstott writes >

> I have a few questions for my fellow midget owners.  The title says that
> the car is a '70.  The VIN# is GAN5UA803096G.  Is it really a '70?
>
> I've heard people mention square and round arched midgets.  What does
> this mean?

The "Spridget" (not frogeye/bugeye) body style originally had a rear arch
(in Yank-speak "wheelwell") which has a flat top. The opening is
essentially rectangular, with the upper corners rounded off and the top of
the opening straight.  This is known as a "square-arch" Spridget.

In 1971 or 1972 (help me out, Spridget historians) the wheelwell was
redesigned.  The top of the opening is a semicircle, with no straight
portion on the top.  Unlike the front wheelwell, which is basically flush
with the bodywork, the rear has a bit of a flare, which is probably for
chassis stiffness.  This is called a "round-arch" Midget.  The Sprite name
was not used anymore by that time.

1974 was the last year for the round-arch.  When the car was jacked up and
the pornobumpers were put on in 1975 (BLMC got a two-year extension on the
1973 law), the square arches were restored.  Two theories exist about
this.  I think they are probably both true:  The car would not pass the
crash tests with the round arches.  The round arch looked stupid with the
car jacked up so high.

> Is one rarer than the other?

Certainly the round arch is rarer.  It is more highly prized by
performance junkies because you can stick on 6" wide wheels with 185-60-13
sticky tires without flaring the wheelwells.

> How do I tell what mine is?

If your car is really a 1970, it should have the square arches.  At any
reasonable ride height, a straight side view of the car will have the top
of the rear tire obscured by the bodywork.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676  USA
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
It's still hip to be octagonal.  Whaddaya call the Lotus emblem shape, anyway?