Q: What to do with BAD TR6 oil pressure?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Q: What to do with BAD TR6 oil pressure?
From: mike@twinpeaks.prc.com (Mike Ladwig)
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 08:30:42 -0500
First, thanks to all who responded to my query about TR6 oil pressure.  For
sure, mine is bad!  I'm getting about 10psi at hot idle and 25psi at a hot
2k rpm, although cold idle is 55psi and cold 2k is 75psi.  My coolant temp
for "hot" is right on the middle mark.

Thanks to some advice (montanaro@ausable.crd.ge.com), I took a look at the
oil pressure relief valve and the spring is a bit compressed (~1/10" too
short) and the valve stem is scored and scuffed.  I will be replacing it as
soon as I get the part.

Now here's my question: assuming that the valve fix _doesn't_ improve my
oil pressure, should I be doing bearings & oil pump work immediately, or
can it wait a while?  A Porsche fanatic friend (my father) believes that as
long as it's moving oil (above 5psi idle), I can live with it.

Thanks in advance, and please cc my email on a reply; my mailer sometimes
misses long digests.

mike.