Re: TR3 oil guage

To: BIRDD@UCRAC1.UCR.EDU, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 oil guage
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 08:50:22 -0800
In message <199403230045.RAA01451@triumph.cs.utah.edu>  writes:
> I would like some help in understanding how the oil guage on my (newly
> acquired) TR3 works, and perhaps some advice as to how to cure it from
> hanging up. When the engine is turned off, the needle remains on 70 psi. It
> stays on 70 when the engine is turned on again (it occasionally goes to 80
> with spirited driving). If the engine has been off for a long time (hours),
> vigorously tapping the guage immediately after cranking will bring it down
> to zero; it then climbs slowly (normally?) back to 70 psi. Is this
> realistically reparable? If not, any suggestions for finding a "new" one;
> guages seem rather scarce.
> I also need to find someone in So. Cal (preferably near Riverside) able to
> replace the floors. The sheet metal bending required is far beyond my
> skills, but I am uneasy about trusting the old girl to just any body shop.
> Thanks,
> David McK. Bird

David,

The TR3's oil pressure guage is mechanical.  It has a little copper tube going
between the engine and the guage.  My first guess is that the tube has a kink in
it.  My second guess is that its gummed up.  I can not say I have ever seen a
mechanical oil guage go belly up.

First inspect the tubing closely.  Look for any flat spots or kinks in the
tubing.  If you find any, order a new one.  Its easier then trying to open a
collapsed tube without damaging it.  If you do not see a restriction, disconnect
the tubing at the engine and at the back of the guage.  Place a paper towel
under the engine end so you can see what comes out, go to the inside end and
blow on it.  You should be able to blow the oil out of the tubing easily. And
once the oil is out, it should feel like there are no restrictions to air flow.
Reconnect the engine side.  Get a container and aim the instrument end of the
tubing into the container.  Fire up the car long enough to deturmine that oil is
flowing freely through the tube.  Connect it to the oil guage.  If it still does
not work properly, someone on the list probably knows a place that will fix the
guage.  I think Moss may be offereing a guage rebuilding service.

The Roadster Factory seels excellent replacement floor pannels that when
installed look original.  Most any body shop can cut out the old pannels and
weld in the new ones.  The trick is if you replace the inner and outer sills at
the same time.  The sills line the front of the body up with the rear.

When I first got my TR3A, people didn't want to ride with me beacuse the seats
were not bolted down.  There wasn't enough metal to bolt them too.  Now, me
floors look brand factory new :*)  I would advise you to get the replacement
panels instead of having your own fabricated.  The ribbing adds strength, the
jack holes are in the correct location, as are the seat mounting holes.  And
they are probablu cheaper than having sheetmetal cut and bent to fit.

Thank you for asking a TR related question, i get tired of all the
Sprigit/GT6/Spitfire questions.

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561