Vapor lock problem (?)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Vapor lock problem (?)
From: richards@cs.wisc.edu (Brad Richards)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 94 14:13:34 -0600
Hello all,

I wasn't sure that I'd ever get a chance to say this again, but it looks
like spring is actually on its way.  When the weather does warm up, my
Sunbeam Alpine will start to have problems with carb overheating again as
usual.  The car starts well from cold, and runs well, but it doesn't like
to restart after some around-town running.  It will start if I attempt to
restart it immediately, but if I wait more than just a few minutes it be-
comes increasingly difficult.  I'm assuming that it's a vapor lock problem
due to the high under-hood temperatures that develop after it's shut down
and left to sit and stew.

The car has the 1.6L with a single Solex that I rebuilt a year or two back,
and the engine itself does not overheat if the gauge is to be believed.
The intake manifold is designed such that coolant circulates through it to
preheat the incoming air/fuel mixture.  It also, I assume, keeps the carb
warmer during normal running.  To make matters worse, the carburetor is pos-
itioned above the cast-iron exhaust manifold, which serves as an effective
heat source after shutting down.

I'm looking for advice on how to improve the situation.  I'm tempted to
change the plumbing to get rid of the manifold heating "feature", but will
it help?  I would expect the carb to eventually reach the same temperature
as it does now after shutting down.  I have the same fears about trying to
fit a heat shield.  Won't the temperature under the hood eventually equalize
and cook the carb?  Is there some standard fix for this kind of overheating
problem?  I'd appreciate any words of wisdom sent my way.

        Brad "lurk, lurk" Richards