Re: Upgrade to OD & Trans. swaps for TR

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars)
Subject: Re: Upgrade to OD & Trans. swaps for TR
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 94 13:48:52 MST
With requards to putting a TR6 tranny in a TR4, any further advice would
be greeatly appriciated.

About 2 years ago I stumbled on a late TR6 tranny with OD at a very
reasonable price.  Knowing that the basic bolt patern for the TR2-TR6
tranny was the same I thought great I will put it in one of my TR4A's.

After pulling the old tranny out of the 4 and working the TR6 tranny
part way in I discovered that the mount on the OD was considerably
different.  I have been waiting patiently until I can take a close look
at a TR6 tranny and frame to see if I can modify the TR4 to accept this
tranny.  I still haven't found a TR6 with OD that I can look at.

I have bben told that the late TR6 with OD used a differnt OD unit and
that there was a differnt frame cross member bolted in place of the
standard on the TR6.  If this is true I should be able to find one of
these addapters.  My other theory is that the PO fo the tranny put the
OD using Jag or some other parts for the OD thinking they were the same.
--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley

britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com