Re: brake lines

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake lines
From: sanders@hydra.unm.edu
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 08:42:57 -0700
Hi
Regarding brake lines...
I'm not quite sure why there is so much motivation to buy custom brake
lines or to farm the job out to shops. Buying pre-bent lines is not much of
a consideration since most lines have to be bent around during installation.
Its easier to work with a straightish length and form it during installation
rather than try to snake a bent line through all the tight passages. It
also allows you to cut the tubing to fit after it has reached the target
location. Being able to do the flares allows reuse of fittings or conversion
to AN fittings. Store-bought tubing rarely has appropriate fittings.
Theres is no mystery to making decent double flared brake lines and the
tool is not particularly expensive. I've always preferred to do my own
brake work. While there are exceptions, I have not had much confidence in the
skills of most "professionals" I've encountered.  If the fitting insists on
leaking, its not a big deal since slow weeping at the fitting is not an
immediate safety hazard and it is usually easy to cut 0.25-0.5 inches off and
redo it.

John Sanders