Re: Rumors for Ray

To: Rob Reilly <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Subject: Re: Rumors for Ray
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 17:08:04 -0500 (EST)
On 20 Jan 1994, Rob Reilly wrote:

> > Ray Gibbons, who would go to look at a $600 big healey too, because hope
> > springs eternal in the human breast, and I once heard of a guy who...
> >But Ray, if you want a rumor....
>
> Then there was the guy in the US air force who was flying his brand new Jaguar
>
>  Brrr, -20F in Chicago and the XJ12 started (had to move it to get at the
> snowblower). Email me some of your snow, Ray.

I'd be glad to; it is getting hard to drive because it is difficult to see
over the snow banks at corners.

OK, group, 'nuff RUMORS.  I am an old fart (reg. tm.) and I have
personally *seen* a (1931?) Pierce Arrow phaeton that had never been
washed or rained on.  This was about 1956 in St. Louis.  The original
owner, who showed it to me, said his parents gave it to him for his 16th
birthday, and he decided he would keep it forever as it was when new.  I
have often wondered what happened to it; I think it was maroon.  I know it
was gorgeous.  He also had his mother's baby sh** tan Pierce Arrow limo in
mint condition.  The paint was original; his mother had it specially mixed
by the factory.

A few years ago, I stopped just south of Burlington at a garage sale
because there was a sign in front offering a 50's Cadillac for sale and I
was intrigued.  (It's a sickness; I don't want an old Caddy, but
if it was cheap enough...) Behind this modest ranch house, the guy had
about an 8 car garage stuffed with cars.  Most were undistinguished Mopar.
There were either 2 or 3 GM convertibles, several years old, with only
delivery miles on them.  When GM discontinued convertibles, this guy
figured they would be worth big bucks one day, and bought some to sock
away.  It's been a while, but I think there were three, a chevy impala, an
olds, and (I am sure of this one) a late model buick riviera.  As I
recall, all three were triple white.  The guy retired a few years ago and
moved to Florida.  He sold some of his cars, but I think he kept the
convertibles.

I didn't care for most of his cars, especially not the pink cadillac, but
that was one heck of a garage.  Plus the house had an attached 2 car
garage.  I keep an eye out for a For Sale sign.  I wonder if Freud
recognized garage envy?

Ray Gibbons