halogens & spring compressors

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: halogens & spring compressors
From: MULLENT@YMV5.YMP.GOV
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 1994 7:51:24 -0800 (PST)
Just to add a little more "juice" to the "current" thread about halogen
bulbs :-)

Are we all really sure the adds for the halogen bulbs are saying that
they CONSUME 55 watts, or that the just GIVE OFF the same amount of
light as an equivalent 55 watt conventional light bulb?

I know that I have recently purchased a fluorescent desk lamp, that
had in big letters on the package indicating 60 watts, while the
asterisk referred to the small print at the bottom of the package that
said something about "equivalent light output"  --  what ever that
means...

Truth in advertising and all that...

By the way, I used to run "European" dual bulb headlights, from a
newly inported 10 year old used Italian spec, 67 Maseratti (sp?), in
the Elan -- 50 watt low beam, 100 watt high beam halogen bulbs instead
of the standard 35/45 watt headlights.  It never melted any of the
Lucas (tm) wiring, but I never checked the heat output...

On the topic of spring compressors, a long time ago, when I had to
replace the struts on the rear of the Elan, I had to compress the
springs.  The procedure that I used was to Jack up that corner or the
car with a floor jack, wrap "wire rope" (steel cable) many times
from the top to the bottom coils (all the way around), and then clamp
the ends together with a wire rope clamp (two haves with groves
that bolt together and clamp on the two ends of the wire).  Since I
was worried, I used two clamps.  Since I was really worried, I just
did  everything times two.  After the clamping was done, lower the
jack, and instant compressed spring...   Dissasembled the suspension,
changed the shock insert in the strut, and did an "Assembly is
the reverse of the dissembly..."  Total cost of the wire and clamps:
about $5.00 (at the time).  DO NOT try this with "coat hanger wire" as
someone suggested...

When I later rebuild the rear suspension, I decided to do it the
proper way, and used one of the spring compressors that hook over the
coils on the outside.

Sworked like H*** to get it back together, since the tops of the
compressor interfered with the body of the car, mount points, etc. If
I hooked the compressor lower on the coils, I couldn't compress it
enough, etc...

Tim Mullen       mullent@ymv5.ymp.gov
72 Elan Sprint   For the few who know the difference...