Re: electronic ignition (TW)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electronic ignition (TW)
From: a.wooten@genie.geis.com
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 93 00:15:00 BST
Marcus Tooze asked about electronic ignition:

 > How does an electronic ignition work?? Does it still rely on the
 > distributor turning in time with the cam/engine, or is the dist. just
 > left on the engine to plug the hole?? Obviously it replaces the points
 > somehow, but how????

   I put an Allison electronic ignition in my TR3A about 20 years ago.  You
remove the distributor cap, take off the rotor, and remove the points and
condenser.  You replace the points with a small light device, put a plastic
"trigger" on the shaft, and replace the rotor and cap.  Your two standard
distributor wires are replaced by two wires which connect to the little
control box that needs to be mounted in "a cool location", and another wire
or two goes to the coil and ground.  The points and condenser are all that
are replaced, otherwise the ignition system uses all the other stock
components.  Instead of relying on points to create the spark, the Allison
uses a light beam with electronic controls which is much more accurate.  Oh,
yes, I eventually went to some bigger plug wires.

Nigel Pearson:

   Thank you for that treatise on the 5 types of ignition systems.  I'd
never seen that, and it helped me to understand it much better!

        -Tony in WI
        Drive Carefully!
        A.WOOTEN@GENIE.GEIS.COM