Fuel Injection (was: Pistons, and general engine question (Spit 1500))

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Injection (was: Pistons, and general engine question (Spit 1500))
From: kburtch@pts.mot.com (Kevin Burtch)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 93 15:48:25 EST
> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 17:13:30 -0500 (EST)
> From: palmerr@ecn.purdue.edu (Robert G Palmer)

> I want to rebuild the 1500 engine and convert to fuel injection.  I
> have been considering designing my own injection system and computer,
> But I would like to buy an injection system or just the computer first
> to get some experience with fuel injection. (Then I'll take on the big
> job of designing my own computer and the rest of the system)  Does
> anyone have any experience with off the shelf injection conversions,
> or just injection computers.  My experience with manufacutres of such is
> nil, I have only obtained info from a couple of books - no real on
> the road (or track) evals.

You might want to consider a Bosch K-Jetronic mechanical port fuel injection
system. They are extremely common for 4-bangers, and can be found in junkyards
on most VW Rabbits and others. It is an extremely flexible system, and probably
will be the simplest to set up. For the manifold, I suggest a "log-manifold"
designed using the Helmholtz Resonator principle. I have always wanted to do
this to my TR7, but never had the time. (good ol' Lucas keeps me busy)
I can't remember for sure, but I think this system is good for up to ~140hp.
(it may be more, most likely so) There is no "brain" to worry about, except on
the KE-Jetronic system, and the only electrical connections are the fuel pump,
the cold start air bypass and injector, and possibly one more that I am unable
to recall at the moment.

> - --
> Robert Palmer, Jr.                                Purdue University
> palmerr@ecn.purdue.edu                                    317-494-3750

Gotta go...

Kevin

P.S. The K-Jetronic system is also used on: Volvo (PVR) V6, Porsche flat-6,
        Ferrari(sp?) TestaRossa flat 12 (two separate 6 cyl. systems), and
        numerous others. I believe some older Rolls Royce and Porsche V8s too.