Bearings, BMW head on a 1275?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Bearings, BMW head on a 1275?
From: danb@wv.MENTORG.COM (Daniel Boughton)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 09:23:16 -0800
[ Someone says: ]

> a copper shell.  Earlier engines used bearings which were in many cases
> poured ("babbitted") in place; the Ford Model T, for example, used
> such bearings.  They were designed for use in low-pressure oiling
> systems, or in splash-fed systems, which are characterized by low
> brake mean effective pressure (BMEP) and low RPM.

[ Roland says: ]

I believe that Model A Fords also had poured babbitt bearings.  I have
a (very) vague recollection of watching my dad and an uncle pouring
bearing for a Model A.  Of course pre-made bearing are available
now but I believe these cars left the factory with babbitted bearings.

My Grandpa says:

I built several model A fords from abandoned ones pushed onto the side
of the road.  I cut up my belt for bearings when the old ones wore out.

On an unrelated note, when I went to get my electric vest for my BMW
bike, I drove the mini (thoughts of putting an alternator and a plug
in for the vest in my Sprite abounding).  The guy behind the counter
says "hey, did you know that a head from an 1100 R series has the same
bore spacing as a 1275".  Apparently someone put one on (with appropriate
machining to drive the overhead cams).  4 valves per cylinder, fuel
injection with a crossflow head...Hmmm.

Anyone heard anything more about this?