RE: MGB roadster vs. convert

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: RE: MGB roadster vs. convert
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 92 12:48:15 CST
Daren Stone writes >

>Although "roadster" can be used to describe a car with
>no top at all, I'm sure what Phil had in mind when he
>was discussing the virtues of MGBs was something a tad
>different. "Roadster" as opposed to "convertible" is
>used to describe a vehicle that stows its folding top
>separately (a convertible has its top attached to the
>car, and thus stows it on or in it.)

Thanks for the support, Daren.  I realize that the definition of the term
"roadster" is the subject of many religious wars.  It is not my intention to
start another one.

I use the terms "roadster" and "convertible" in reference to Midgets and MGBs
to describe the type of top used.  It just seems more elegant, if more inexact,
than saying "take-away top" or "attached, folding top".

>MGB-wise, the early series were roadsters and the later ones
>convertibles, but both had soft tops.

Such a flat statement can be made about Midgets, but not about MGBs.  When the
Midget went over to the 1275 engine, the body was changed to accept only a
convertible top.  The take-away top and the convertible top are not
interchangeable at all, as the sheet metal on the car is different.

For several years (I know not which, but I do know 1970 is included) you could
buy a new MGB either way.  Brian Erickson, here in Minnesota, has a 1970 MGB
"roadster".  I do not know if you can switch them back and forth (that is to
say, is the sheet metal the same.)  I do know that Brian's car looks very sharp
with the top removed  It gives the roll bar "space" somehow, and I find it more
esthetically pleasing than having the convertible top there.  I felt the same
way about my 1966 Midget, but was not crazy about getting caught in a downpour
when the trunk was full!

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"Jesus Christ!  Now what I have done!"  -Hans Stuck