Re: Oil leak from hell

To: sanders@hydra.unm.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil leak from hell
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1992 12:15:33 -0500
sanders@hydra.unm.edu scribed:
 Subject: Oil leak from hell

> Well, my second attempt to eliminate the oil leak from the rear tappet
> cover on my 68 MGB has failed.
> The first try involved using a new gasket, coated in permatex blue silicone.

These covers are often warped- make sure they seat as well as possible
without the gasket there. Next, the bolt is only supposed to be torqued
to something like 4 or 8 ft/lbs.

1) clean & dry gasket surfaces
2) apply moderatly thick layer of sealent (permetex is good, about 1/16-3/32
   layer) to both mating surfaces, and maybe the gasket too.
3) Let sealant set up- about 30 minutes.
4) install cover-so that the sealant just contacts all surfaces, and
   suuishes only slightly.
5) finish torqing to spec.

That should do it.
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | "The South Lansing Centre
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!