Trunnions !

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Trunnions !
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 92 16:44:30 EST
PHIL WRITES:::

> I am sure glad this list exists.  If I had not read about the trunnions
> on Spitfires on this list, I would have been *very* surprised when I started

>This system seems rather odd.  If they were going to have a ball joint at the
>top, why not use one on the bottom?  Maybe it is because the bottom end of the
>spindle supports the car and the top one is just along for the ride.

Are you sure about this ? - I though all the weight (or most of it) would
be resting on the TOP part of the kingpin (ie the ball-joint), and that the
bottom one was along for the ride (and for also carrying SOME of the weight).

Yeh, I always wondered why they did not use ball-joints at both
end, may be there is a good reason for it.

But the one good thing about the brass trunnion is that it does not corrode.
I remove mine every year, re-lubricate then and re-install, and they are
still as clean as the day I installed them 10 years ago.

Gerry