Re: LBC for autox? new guy

To: AUTOX@autox.team.net, cs.utah.edu!hoosier!british-cars@crdgw1.ge.com
Subject: Re: LBC for autox? new guy
From: bownes@pluto.crd.ge.com (Robert M. Bownes)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 92 16:01:57 EST

Well, there are a few of us crazy enough to own LBC's *and* autocross them, some
with more success than others...

I'd heartily reccommend the Spitfire, particularly if you're not afraid
of SP and you have no desire to be nationally (SCCA) competitive. I
race a Spit in DP, but it is no longer street legal, but Vicki
Schlierer has a 77, that is very breathed on (SP max...) which she
drives to work every day in the good weather.  I've driven the car
several times and would be more than thrilled to have one for the
street. Her 1500 SP car on street tires (not race/street tires) is
nearly as much fun as my 1147 race car. Doesn't turn in quite as well,
but both are roller skates. And very competitive at a local level. She
and I typically run for FTD on small courses between her Spit and my
TR-6....

In a slightly smaller vein, finding a decent Midget will give you a
taste for tiny cars which handle like nothing you've ever driven. My
Midget (the blue one I spent 9 months restoring, took to get inspected,
and got totaled...) was a terrific car, cheap, and I had gotten no TRS
for it at all. I still want another one. Down in the power dept in the
early cars, best seems to be 69-71 pre-rubber bumper cars.

But if you want 'A Real Man`s Car' (C&D, ~1964), hunt down a big TR. 4,
250, or TR-6. My first TR love is my trusty TR-6, Lizbeth. Big by LBC
standards, weighing in at over 2000 lbs, but powerfull, at well in
excess of 110 hp, depending on trim. Once you replace the stock sized
tires, life begins. Replace all the rotten rubber bushings with fresh
ones or durlin, and life begins anew.  The 6 cylinder TR's (and all the
'big' TR's for that matter) are more expensive to maintain than the
Midgets and Spitfires of the world, but worth the while in my book. I
may sell the race car, but the big TR? Not until you pry it from my
cold dead, grease soaked fingers. The last of the gunboats they have
been called, but a car I love nonetheless. Tricky to drive, rewards
the smooth driver, and a blast on twisty country roads.

Oh, I've taken 4 VTR national wins in Stock TR-6 in mine....And
countless local E-Stock wins.

Those are the convertibles, if you're interested in a coupe, check out the GT-6,
another neat car....