RE: Crankfire Ignition.

To: "british-cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Crankfire Ignition.
From: "DEHAAS, MARK" <dehaasm@napc-1.navy.mil>
Date: 19 Nov 92 11:27:00 EDT

The subject of electronic ignitions has come up and this has started
me thinking about building a system for my TR-6.
If one wanted to find the best place to mount an engine position/speed
sensor it would be under the distributor cap.  In fact I would throw
out the rotor and distributor cap altogether.  A relatively simple
circuit could fire those new mini-coils one for each plug.  At the
last New York auto show I was checking out the Saturn engine and they
have two coils which fire the plugs and no noticable distributor
cap.  I guess one coil fires two plugs which are apporximately 180
degrees out of phase of each other.
   At any rate trying to mount a relatively sensative optical or
mechanical rotary position sensor next to a hot, vibrating , oil
leaking engine is a tough job.  The sensor would have to meet
mil type specs for temperature and shock.  If I ever build it
I'll let the net know if it worked or not.

Mark deHaas.
DEHAASM@NAPC-1.NAVY.MIL