getting oil into steering racks

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: getting oil into steering racks
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 92 09:30:33 -0600
I've read somewhere recently that you can get 90W oil into your steering
rack using a good quality grease gun (I'm not kidding).  The trick
is to plug up the end with just enough really heavy grease to make a seal
and then fill it the rest of the way with the 90W.  If I remember, it'll
leak a little but you should be able to do the job.  I'll look up the
place I think I read about this and get back to everybody with more
details.  Roger Bolick also knows a bunch about this (since he's done
it a few times on various TR6's he owns) and can probably shed even
more light on this.  Alas, he's in Houston and won't be back on the
net until after this weekend.  Roger?

jim