Spax dampers (shock absorbers), help, please.

To: lotus-cars%esprit.uucp@netcom.com
Subject: Spax dampers (shock absorbers), help, please.
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 92 13:28:14 CST
I have now identified the shock absorbers off the rear of my
1970 Lotus Europa.  I scraped the grunge off the upper spring perch and
found "SPAX" cast into the piece.

These have the adjustable lower spring perches and the little damper
adjustment screw.

They must be pretty old, as they are painted blue, and I think all Spax are now
painted yellow.

The problem is that they leak.  The grunge that obscured the brand name was all
over the shock and spring.  It was dirt (last owner lived on dirt road) bound
by leaking shock oil.

You get to laugh at this one, but I have to ask.
Does Spax have a lifetime guarantee?
If so, who do you talk to?

Can these shocks be rebuilt?  I have heard that Konis can be.

I would like to have the adjustable perches, but new Spax are apparently quite
expensive.

The front shocks are Koni, and are apparently OK.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"Is that right?" - Garrison Keillor  "No, but it's so" - Red Maddock