Big American Car Question

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Big American Car Question
From: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca (Robert Neilson)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 92 08:45:57 PST
Hi. I know this is a BC mailing list - so please don't hassle me too much for
posting this. I have attached a copy of a news item that I sent to
rec.autos.tech, about problems with my cuda ignition. I thought that someone
on this list might be able to help ... I am sort of stumped as too what to
check next to determine what is going wring.

If you have an idea, you should probably send me email directly. If I learn
anything interesting in fixing this problem I will post a summary.

ttfn, Rob   (neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca)

 ----------------------- start of inserted text ----------------------

I have a 1965 Barracuda, which was (until last Friday) a very reliable vehicle.

On Friday I went to start it and it just cranked over, but wouldn't fire up.
I checked the fuel and it a) exists, and b) gets pumped into the carb.

So I yanked a plug and checked for a spark ... none. I tried the HT lead from
the coil to the distributor - no spark. I checked the resistance in the coil
and it apears to be OK, and there is power to the coil with the ignition on.

So I figure it is something in the electronic ignition module, or the wiring
(break/short?).

HOLD IT you say - what electronic ignition existed on a 1965 cuda? None. The
car has been retrofitted with a 318 and the associated ignition system from
a 1972 Duster.

Now my question: does anyone out there know what I can check in the electronic
ignition box, the distributor or ? to determine if a component has failed?

Any/all suggestions are appreciated, and I prefer direct email if possible.

Thanks,
Rob        (neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca)