Re: TR-6 intake manifold

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-6 intake manifold
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1992 11:36:10 CST
TeriAnn (twakeman@apple.com) writes:
> Not only do airplanes have carb heaters, but it was a Land Rover option as
> well.  The Solex that came with my 109 has a heating element in the carb for
> de-icing.

Our Austin America apparently had something similar. In cold weather, the
manual indicated that you were supposed to turn the ignition on, then wait
for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on how cold it was,
before cranking the engine. If I recall correctly, it was to warm a heater
in (or under) the SU carburetor. Since the car was not heavily laden with
options, I assume it was a standard fitting on cars shipped to New England,
if not the U.S. in general...

-- Andy