compression test

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: compression test
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 14:47:44 -0500
        By doing a comprehensive compression test, you should be able to
determine what has gone wrong in your block and head (cylinder that is).  I have
a proceedure somewhere around here which details what to do.  Basically you test
the compression after one stroke of the engine and after 5 strokes.  You can
further
augment this infomation by doing a leakdown test (pressurize the cylinder and
listen
with a mechanic's stethoscope).  I'll get the offical MoTech instructions and
post
them if you want.  MoTech is Chrysler's factory mechanic training school.  I'm
always
impressed with what information you can get from these simple tests.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu