TR6 interior misc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 interior misc.
From: fredki@key.amdahl.com (Fred Ki)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 92 16:20:22 PST
Some answers & a question too:

>Now a question:
>
>    Where do the carpeting pieces covering the tranny and axle covers
>    snap down?  Onto the floor?  Onto the covers themselves?  And what
>    do people use around the read brake cables to give some shape and
>    substance to get a nice smooth curvy fit for the carpet?

I'm fitting new carpets to my 70 TR6 too.  My $.02:
The front tranny cover (bell shape, made of cardboard, next to bulkhead)
has 2 studs on each side (4 total for you mathematically oriented) for
carpet to snap on.  The rear tranny piece, which has a hole for the gear
shift, has no snap & is held down by that funky dash support.  The
drive shaft/handbrake tunnel piece should have a handbrake cover sewn
in.  The tunnel cover on my 6 has 2 studs versus 4 shown in TRF illustr.
I put padding (w/ a rect. hole cut-out for the handbrake) underneath as
I have done for almost all other carpet pieces to give it shape.  The
padding I bought from local carpet store cost ~$12 versus ~$60 from TRF,
which of course is pre-cut.

>And another:
>
>    Why is the parcel shelf carpet supposed to be glued down?  To hell
>    with that.  Went to all the trouble to strip it down to metal and
>    repaint and all, I'm gonna glue down as little as possible.  Why not
>    snap down this section like the rest of the big pieces?  Can anyone
>    think of a good reason why not?

If not glued down, it may move!  I think friction or whatever contact it
has with other trim matericals may not hold it during sporty maneuvering
(sp. ck'ed) of vehicle ;->  IMHO, studs were installed on other pieces
to facilitate accessibility (for frequent repairs?).  Nothing much was
meant to be accessed & fooled around with under said parcel shelf carpet,
therefore, no snap; just glue it!

My question: after installing carpet, I noticed some gunks at clutch m/c &
pedal.  Didn't want leaky clutch m/c to ruin new carpet, I felt compelled
to rebuild m/c.  Easy, 1 hr. job; done it before; used rebuild kit (rubber
rings); bled it good.  After reassembly, I stepped on the clutch, the thing
just bottomed & did not return!  Continued, frustrated pumping (of the
clutch) didn't change a thing.  The slave cylinder did not even quiver.
What is wrong?  Air introduced -- re-bleed?  The old m/c is shot -- I
shouldn't f**l around thing that aint broke?  $100 slipping out of my
pocket?  Sorry for long posting.  Help appreciated.

Fred Ki / Internet address: fredki@key.amdahl.com
Amdahl Corporation / Advanced Systems
46525 Landing Pkwy, M/S 580, Fremont, CA  94538
Phone: (510) 623-2348