MG Superchargers

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: MG Superchargers
From: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca (Robert Neilson)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 92 08:20:05 PDT
I recently saw an add (in Hemmings I think) for a Judson (sp?) supercharger
for MGA/B (B series engine). I am quite curious about these things (although
I'm not running out to buy one!).

I was wondering where/how the fit in the engine compartment on either MGA's or
MGB's - I've seen turbocharger setups - maybe it's the same? I was also
wondering if you can use a weber, or only SU's, or ?

Some other questions that come to mind:

 - how much extra hp/torque
 - how reliable are these (like would I have to rebuild it every 10,000 km)
 - do I have to do anything special if I am building an engine that will use
   a xxxxxcharger? I assume that there will be accellerated wear & tear on
   the entire driveline.
 - will it absolutely destroy gas mileage (half? 3/4?)

If anyone has played with these things on MG's (or ?) maybe you could pass
along some info - it would be greatly appreciated!

Rob