Squidget, Vintage @Lime Rock

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Squidget, Vintage @Lime Rock
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1992 09:11:47 -0400
Why is it that I end up with Squidgets with blown engines? My '64 Sprite
came with the remains of a piston in the sump, a pair of really
interesting groves in the cylinder wall, and a really choice looking
crank journal. (They said it still ran tho!) I finally dragged home
a '79 Midget I aquired a while back- It has a lovely vent hole in the
side of the block where #3 rod took a look at the world. Aside from needing
a new block, or prefrebly whole engine, tyres & a couple wheels,
and a few misc. bits that the inept PO managed to snap off, it's
in remarkably decent shape. In fact, it's probably the best original
LBC I've got, certainly the only one with original, mostly intact paint!
The seats may be faded, but they're not ripped, and the hood is even in
good shape, including the plastic windows. It was a California car, you see.
I do envy you West coasters cars & weather, but not your cost of living,
cities, and natural disasters.  Wish I could get more California cars
like this.

And, I wasn't even planning on keeping it, but now I don't know...
I certainly like the Sprite more, but to own an LBC that's never
rusted out once. And even tho it is one of *those* black bumper cars,
it does have comfortable seats, the top operates pretty easily, and
it even has improved bonnet hinges that let you open wide enough to
work without banging your noggin.

Maybe I should put a nice 2.8 l Ford in it or something, eh what?
For now, I'll just clean it up and mothball it till an engine
comes along. Fresh brake fluid, etc., but I guess I don't have to
change the oil or the coolant, huh?

-----
Any netters who are going to the Vintage race on Saturday the 17th
at Lime Rock stop and say hi- I'll be crewing on Don Funke's
gray-blue MGA Twin Cam ("Twinkie").

(I'll also be there for the Empire/BMW school on the 15th)

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!