TR7, LBCs in Ireland, cable ties

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7, LBCs in Ireland, cable ties
From: jeffreys_m_j@bt-web.bt.co.uk
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1992 18:09:22 +0100
From:   NAME: Mike Jeffreys         [DAT31 ]
        FUNC: DAT31
        TEL: 0473-645609                      <JEFFREYS M J AT WEB AT WEBCS>
To:     british-cars@autox.team.net@unet

Ireland bits:

I have just come back from a long weekend in Ireland (as there was fog and
the plane was delayed, it was a bit longer than we thought). At the moment
there is an airline (Ryanair) that flies every hour from Stansted (30 miles
north of London) to Dublin for 58 pounds return. I just had to go at that
price. If anyone visits the UK, a quick diversion to Ireland is a must at
this price. Note I haven't shares in this company.

We hired a small Japanese car (1 litre: I actually had to change down when
ascending hills...yuck, c.f 3.5 litres) and, using all the tourist
guides (5) borrowed from our local library, headed for the hills
(Wicklow mountains). After 3 days of exploration and climbing of waterfalls
in the Wicklow vicinity, we decided that Ireland probably needs more than 4
days to explore! Whilst driving to Dublin along the Wicklow Gap in heavy
mist we saw lots of LBCs on a day out (Sunday). These people meant
business: MG TDs (?) and various convertibles, with the tops down! Brrrrr.
It seemed an official gathering with numbers and plaques etc., anyone know
what I missed?

Whilst lost in Dublin and frantically reading maps (in a stationary queue I
hasten to add) help was on hand from the lady driver in front who got out
of her car to give us directions! We were set right, with directions,
before the lights had changed to green.

Guinness in Ireland is much better than elsewhere.

TR7 bits (with cable ties):

My TR7-Sprint (2 litre, 16 valve, hard top) is now restored (ish) to a
reasonable standard (don't ask me the price though! ugh) and it is a
glorious carnellian red (original-about the only thing that is). I took the
liberty to afix TR8 logos etc. (wot a wally!) and with the twin exhaust
(standard TR8), it looks the business (until the non 3.5 litre engine
starts up - maybe another job in the pipeline?!)

After getting the bodywork sorted out (see above) I put it through the MOT
test and it failed (brakes: corroded front pipe, inefficient rear brakes
and brake fliud leaks on the rear drums). I was lucky that they missed the
split steering rack gaiter (a wide ty-rap/cable tie can be very useful,
especially the re-usable type!) and the slightly dodgy track rod end!

A new brake pipe, handbrake cable (it was split where it comes out of the
sleeve behind the axle - so this was why the hand brake felt funny for the
last 2 years), rear shoes, rear brake seals, track rod ends (may as well do
both) and new steering gaitors (both again, though don't use Rimmers, the
items sent were .25 inch too small in diameter, use Rover SD1 versions) and
another test (21 pounds again!) got me another years legal driving.

The new track rods, although of the old ones only one had slight vertical
movement, have made a lot of difference.

I used cable ties for both ends of the gaitors, though I usually find that
the tightness that I would like cannot be held by the ratchet mechanism
(non-metal rachet, .125 inch types). If I put some thought to it rather
than use the items at hand, I would use 3/8 width reusable, or metal
finger(?) cable ties on the gaitors.