cable ties & core plugs

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: cable ties & core plugs
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 92 08:43:23 EDT
Roland Dudley writes:

 > My objection to them [cable ties] as boot clamps is as stated in my
 > original message.  They're chintzy looking.

Chintzy looking?!?  I'll have you know that I've had several
compliments on my boot clamps.  In fact, car show judges have even
added *extra* points to my score because of them!  KNOT!  Then again
cable ties are superior to bailing wire (the original clamp on the
TR6).  I guess I'll just have to buy a snake so that I can have "real"
boot clamps.  I'm sure my wife will understand this logic perfectly...
"But honey, our car has chintzy boot clamps!  We have to buy *another*
car!  Roland said so..."  :-) :-) :-)

 > Also, flush out the old coolant and put in new.  Apparently something
 > in the coolant becomes corrosive after a while and eats up these plugs.

I've heard this too.  In fact, I know of a story where the freeze
plugs didn't work (don't we all?).  The block froze and cracked.  The
only thing I can think of is that the plugs rusted to the block.  We
all know that rust IS stronger than cast iron...  My point is, if you
are doing a rebuild, always replace the plugs in the block and the
head.  I didn't know this when I rebuilt my engine, but my machine
shop put the new plugs in without me even asking, and no charge.  When
I got the block back, it had these round shiny things all over it.  I
guess they knew better.
---
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.  - Rush

-Scott